Jun 14, 2015; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Padres starting pitcher James Shields (33) pitches during the first inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
Game 1 Friday, 6:40pm
Shields is unbeaten as a Padre in 14 starts. That hasn’t happened for the Padres in 30 years. His last start against the Dodgers was a great one. He went 7 innings and only allowed one run and struck out 6. He has allowed two runs or less in 8 of his 14 starts. He started at Chase Field earlier this year and was knocked around for five runs in 6 innings.
Although De La Rosa has a higher ERA, he has pitched well against the Padres twice already this year. He is 2-0 and his last time against San Diego he pitched 7 shutout innings and only allowed 3 hits while striking out 7.
Yonder Alonso is 1 for 5 against De La Rosa but that one hit was a home run. He has five hits in his last 5 games.
More from Friars on Base
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
- Failed Padres top prospect makes stunning return with minor league deal