May 12, 2015; Seattle, WA, USA; San Diego Padres pitcher Ian Kennedy (22) throws against the Seattle Mariners during the third inning at Safeco Field. Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports
Game 4 Sunday, 1:10pm
Ian Kennedy (2-2, 5.92 ERA)vs. TBD
Kennedy is anxious to get out there again after serving up batting practice to the Seattle Mariners. In the 11-4 loss, he allowed 5 earned runs on two home runs and walked three. He did not get out of the 5th inning. The start before that one was the best he has had all season, allowing just one run in seven innings against the Giants. We will see if he can duplicate that start.
Entering his 9th season, Kennedy has six career starts against Washington with a 3-2 record and 2.31 ERA.
Kennedy will have to be careful of Ryan Zimmerman, who is 3-for-8 off of him with a home run. This season, Zimmerman has 4 home runs, 25 RBI and is riding a 7-game hitting streak.
This will be a tough series. The Padres are yet to fully hit their stride and they are hovering around .500, waiting for that hot streak to kick in. This will be a tough team to start that with as many picked the Nationals to reach and even win the World Series this year. Their pitching has not been as expected (sound familiar?) but they have a loaded lineup. I see a split in this series, each team taking two games.
More from Friars on Base
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
- Failed Padres top prospect makes stunning return with minor league deal