May 10, 2015; Phoenix, AZ, USA; San Diego Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
Game 3 Saturday, 5:40pm
Andrew Cashner (1-6, 3.07 ERA) vs. TBD
Cashner has been snake-bitten all season. In 5 of his 7 starts, he has allowed two runs or less yet only one win to show for it. In his last time out against the D-backs, he allowed two runs in 7 innings and struck out six yet got the loss due to poor run support. This was the same story last season.
He has four career starts against the Nationals. He is 1-2 in those starts but last year he posted a 1.50 ERA against them.
The Padres are not scheduled to see Max Scherzer or Stephen Strasburg although it is likely one of them will be slotted into one of these last two starts where the Nationals have no one scheduled to start.
The Friars pitching will need to beware of Bryce Harper. He is on another level of hot, hitting 6 home runs last week including 5 in two games. He now leads the National League with 12 home runs.
More from Friars on Base
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
- Failed Padres top prospect makes stunning return with minor league deal