Apr 20, 2015; Denver, CO, USA; San Diego Padres starting pitcher Odrisamer Despaigne (40) pitches during the first inning against the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field. Mandatory Credit: Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports
Game 2 Friday, 7:10pm
Despaigne was pushed back in the rotation and is looking to bounce back from getting pummeled by the D-backs on May 7th. He allowed 8 runs on 10 hits in 5 innings. He has pitched better than that this year, posting a 2.95 ERA in April.
Despaigne is making just his 20th career start and his first against Washington.
Zimmermann is in his 7th season in the big leagues, all with the Nationals. He has pitched well against the Padres in his career. In 7 starts, he has a 1.90 ERA with 47 strikeouts, which is almost 7 strikeouts per start.
Matt Kemp hopes to break out of his May-long slump when he faces the Nationals. He has good numbers against Zimmermann, going 6-for-14 with two home runs and 7 RBI. Justin Upton in his days with the Atlanta Braves is hitting .353 lifetime against him with a home run.
More from Friars on Base
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
- Failed Padres top prospect makes stunning return with minor league deal