Others to consider
More from Friars on Base
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
- Failed Padres top prospect makes stunning return with minor league deal
- Padres fail to land ideal Xander Bogaerts teammate at catcher
Again, there will probably be more names become available during the season, but these are the ones we believe will be available.
Merrifield is a guy we’ve discussed before and someone I would absolutely love for the Padres to get. But it seems like the Royals value him highly, and it’s not like his contract is putting restraints on them.
If things change during the season and Kansas City decides to make him more available, then he could be the answer at second base that San Diego is looking for.
Of course, that’s assuming that one of the five internal options they have for second base doesn’t pan out.
And Merrifield is capable of playing all over the field, so he’s not just limited to second base, but that seems to be his ideal position.
The catching position is a huge question mark for San Diego going into the season. We know they’ve been rumored to look for other catching options this offseason.
And if Luis Campusano is moved in a separate trade, then perhaps they will need to go out and find a catcher through trade during the season. Especially if Mejia and/or Hedges isn’t working out.
It’s early, but there are 12 names to keep an eye on during the season that might become trade targets for the Padres.