More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
While the Padres certainly could use a top of the rotation type of guy like the three previous options, they could also use a middle of the rotation piece as well to help balance out their staff.
Chris Archer, who is currently pitching for the Pittsburgh Pirates, fits that bill and could come at a reasonable cost.
The last three to four seasons have been challenging for Archer, 31. His ERA has been above 4.00 every season since 2016, but he still has a career ERA of 3.86.
In 2019, he posted a 5.19 ERA, which was a career worst, but also had a strong ability to strike batters out, doing so at a rate of 10.8 Ks/9.
The Padres might be able to get Archer for cheap, considering his struggles as of late, so it might not be a bad gamble to make.
He might be able to turn his career around while taking on a different role with a young staff, bringing experience and toughness into the mix.
Let us know in the comments below which of these trade targets you’d like to see the Padres go after this offseason or possibly during the season. Or if this a name you think we left off this list.