Does it need to happen
More from Friars on Base
- Padres fighting with hated rival to sign quality veteran relief pitcher
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
Trading for one of those players would completely change the dynamic of this team going into 2020 and would certainly make them a true contender for a playoff spot.
But is it necessary? … of course not.
Wouldn’t it be fun, though?
I definitely think Preller will at least check-in on those players to see what the cost is, but at the same time he’s most likely comfortable going into the season with the roster he has with maybe a couple of smaller tweaks.
And then if this team is in the race come July, that’s when I think we see Preller take a big risk and look for that blockbuster trade to put them over the top.
San Diego was a .500 team entering this past July but then went 8-16 and Preller took his hand off the trigger.
If they’re at a similar spot in 2020 I think we see him be much more aggressive.
While I would certainly love to see a blockbuster get done this offseason to put this team over the top, I don’t feel it’s the right time for that type of move.
We need to see the team respond on the field first and show they are worthy of the front office taking that kind of risk.
San Diego certainly has the prospects to get a blockbuster deal done whenever they want.
Even though there is still work to be done this offseason, and I still think we see a very active January from Preller, I don’t really see him getting a blockbuster deal done this offseason.