More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
Before we (meaning myself) get too excited here, let’s talk about what it might cost the Padres to trade for a player like Mancini.
The Baltimore Orioles are in an obvious rebuild and won’t contend in the AL East for several more years. They need young, upside prospects.
Mancini is probably their best bet at cashing in, so they’ll be looking for a big return as they’re not in a hurry to move him this offseason.
The Orioles have the top catching prospect in baseball, so Luis Campusano isn’t an option here.
They could use some help in the outfield and I’d rather give up Trammell than Abrams.
If San Diego doesn’t want to part with Trammell or Abrams you can try to overwhelm them with several tops prospects.
That gives them an infielder, outfielder, and a pitcher as they really need help all over.
Whatever the cost may be, I think the Padres should be willing to pay it in order to get Trey Mancini who fills a lot of needs for San Diego.