Others to consider
More from Friars on Base
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
Rich Hill seems like a good fit as a veteran at the back of the rotation to help the young starters. And I can’t blame the man for taking up for his wife in a recent altercation that led to the couple both being arrested.
Ivan Nova is another back-of-the-rotation possibility who could eat up innings after pitching 187 innings with the Chicago White Sox in 2019 while posting a not-so-decent 4.72 ERA.
Drew Smyly could serve that same purpose but his 2019 was even worse with a 6.24 ERA in 114 innings after missing the 2017 and 2018 seasons.
If the Padres want to continue to build a strong bullpen they could look to sign World Series hero Daniel Hudson. But this might not be a cheap option as Hudson already has some multi-year offers on the table.
There is still value to be found out there on the free-agent market. We’ll see if the Padres take a shot on any of these players and hope for big value.