Should the Padres do it?
More from Friars on Base
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
- Failed Padres top prospect makes stunning return with minor league deal
- Padres fail to land ideal Xander Bogaerts teammate at catcher
Again, I believe Merrifield is a great fit for what the Padres need and the type of player they need in the clubhouse. Somebody that’s going to grind out at-bats and give you 110 percent every time he’s on the field.
If the Padres can get him for two of Morejon/Weathers/Baez and another lower-level prospect, I do that deal all day if I’m the Padres.
However, I find it hard to believe that the Royals are going to part with Merrifield without getting one of the Padres top five prospects.
But in my opinion, everyone else is up for grabs in a trade for Merrifield.
If the Padres can get a deal done without giving up those three prospects, sign me up right now.
I get it would be a hefty cost giving up two top 10 prospects for essentially an ultra utility player, but it’s hard to find many 3-5 WAR players making as little as he is for the next three seasons.
It’s going to take a lot to pry him away from the Royals, but the Padres have the prospect depth to get it done and I believe they should.