Are they done at second base
More from Friars on Base
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
- Failed Padres top prospect makes stunning return with minor league deal
- Padres fail to land ideal Xander Bogaerts teammate at catcher
Even after the Jurickson Profar trade, I’m not so sure the San Diego Padres are done figuring out the second base position.
Maybe this is wishful thinking because I didn’t love the Profar trade, but I would not be surprised if Preller continues to look for an upgrade there.
Maybe the Padres are done acquiring second baseman, but they aren’t done moving second baseman.
I know a lot of players in the San Diego clubhouse love Kinsler, but I see no way he is on the Opening Day roster.
If he is, it’s only because of his clubhouse presence and because he’s owed almost $4 million in 2020.
Preller will be trying hard at the Winter Meetings to see if anyone is interested in taking on Kinsler. He may have to make another deal where he attaches a prospect just to get rid of a player and money, and it would be worth it in this case.
I still think second base will be an interesting position to watch for the Padres at the Winter Meetings and throughout the offseason.