More from Friars on Base
- Padres fighting with hated rival to sign quality veteran relief pitcher
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
The Reds are a team that you might have to deal with during the season because I think they go into the season thinking they have a chance to make the postseason.
In fact, they could be one of the teams the Padres are battling for a Wild Card spot.
But one name to keep an eye on if the Reds nosedive to start the season is Trevor Bauer.
He’s only under control through the 2020 season at $18.6 million.
Bauer was great to start the 2019 season and looked like a Cy Young candidate. But he really struggled after being traded to the Reds with a 6.39 ERA in 10 starts, which is surprising considering he came from the AL to the NL.
Overall he posted a 4.48 ERA in 213 innings pitched with 253 strikeouts and a WHIP of 1.25.
Maybe they look to move him this offseason and get some prospect capital back, but most likely he starts the 2020 season with the team and they try to move him before the trade deadline.
I do like Galvis as a potential utility player who can back-up Fernando Tatis Jr. at shortstop and will push Luis Urias at second.