The move comes after the Padres placed fellow outfielder, Will Venable, on paternity leave. Will and his wife, Kathryn, are expecting their first lil’ Venable.
Dickerson, a San Diego native (from my hometown, Poway), will be wearing number 1 for the Padres during his Major League debut. Dickerson was acquired by the Pads in 2013 from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for RHP Miles Mikolas and OF Jaff Decker.
Dickerson is one of the exciting outfield prospects (thought Dickerson can play first base as well), in the Padres farm system; along with Travis Jankowski, Rymer Liriano, and Hunter Renfroe. So far in his five year stint in the minors, Dickerson has accumulated a .300 AVG; currently hitting .306 this year and .317 in 2014.
With Venable’s likely departure from the Padres at the end of the season, I expect the Padres to be recalling a lot of their outfield prospects to see how they do in the Bigs. Plus, with the possible loss of Justin Upton as well, Preller needs to find out just how much outfield is an area he’ll need to address in free-agency this offseason.
I’m excited to see what Dickerson can do in the Majors. If the Padres plans work out like we hope, we could one day see a pretty dangerous Padres’ outfield with Dickerson, Jankowski, and Renfroe in the lineup.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster