Jul 3, 2015; Arlington, TX, USA; Texas Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus (1) bats during the game against the Los Angeles Angels at Globe Life Park in Arlington. The Angels defeated the Rangers 8-2. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
Game 2 Saturday, 6:05pm
Shields has not won a start since June 3rd. He definitely deserved to win his last start when he pitched seven solid innings, allowing just two hits and one unearned run. He has a lot of experience against the Rangers due to most of his career being played in the American League. He is 3-3 with a 3.31 ERA in seven starts in Arlington.
Lewis is in his 10th season in the league and eighth with Texas. He was obliterated by the Angels in his last start, allowing 10 runs on 12 hits in just four innings. He has a 5.31 lifetime ERA in his home ballpark. This will be his first career start against the Padres.
Offensive Player to Watch: Elvis Andrus
There are rumors that the Rangers are shopping Andrus this month. The Padres may be interested. He has plenty of experience against Shields, going 15 for 35 (.429). He is having a bit of a down season this year with just a .236 average and three home runs.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster