Jul 5, 2015; St. Louis, MO, USA; San Diego Padres starting pitcher Ian Kennedy (22) throws to St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina (4) during the sixth inning at Busch Stadium. The Cardinals defeated the Padres 3-1. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports
Game 1 Friday, 5:05pm
Kennedy has lost three straight starts. He has only faced the Rangers once, going 5 2/3 innings while allowing six runs on ten hits. He looks to make sure that doesn’t happen again this time. He has also struggled in his career in interleague games, posting a 5.32 ERA.
Rodriguez is pitching in his 11th season in the big leagues and first with the Rangers. He was tagged for five runs in his loss against the Angels in his last start. He is 3-3 with a 3.53 ERA in eight games against the Padres in his career. The good news for the Padres is that his ERA balloons to 7.42 at home.
Offensive Player to Watch: Prince Fielder
Fielder is having a “re-birth” kind of season. He is hitting .345 and leads the American League with 112 hits. His power numbers may have dropped a bit (still, 13 home runs is not bad) but he has been a huge reason why the Rangers have surprised people in the division. He has also hit a home run in eight at-bats against Kennedy.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster