Henry is only 16 years old and already 6′ 4″, 180 pounds and has a fastball that can reach up to 91 mph (!!!). Here’s a pic of young Henry, wearing an out-date Padres jersey (c’mon!):
Some other international prospects the Padres signed today include infielders Kelvin Melean, Kelvin Alarcon (hmm Henry Henry and Kelvin Kelvin), Reinaldo Illiraza, and LHP Jose Cabrera (via Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com).
The Padres were also (according to Sanchez) able to sign top RHP prospect from Mexico, Andres Munoz.
I’m happy to see the Padres active and signing international talent. Unfortunately, it sounds like they missed out on signing some of the bigger international prospects like, Yadier Alvarez (who signed with the Dodgers) and Lucius Fox (signed with the Giants). We’ll have more on all the Padres’ international signings as the day wraps up.
Stay tuned to Friarsonbase.com for updates as they happen!
More from Friars on Base
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
- Failed Padres top prospect makes stunning return with minor league deal
- Padres fail to land ideal Xander Bogaerts teammate at catcher