Jun 21, 2015; Phoenix, AZ, USA; San Diego Padres first basemanYonder Alonso
(23) singles in the first inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field. Mandatory Credit: Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports
Closing Thoughts and Friar of the Week
This week’s Friar of the Week goes out to Yonder Alonso, who continues to rap out a career year at the plate. Though it would be nice to have a little more power out of your corner infielder, Alonso continues to pound out hits like its easy. He is still at .324 on the year and in the last week hit .375 with an OBP of .423. That we will take. The Padres have the individual pieces going with Alonso, J-Up, and C Derek Norris. Will Venable has played well in Wil Myer’s stead, but the left side of the infield continues to be a mess at shortstop and 3rd base. If Matt Kemp can get his average hot and continue his power stroke, it will help but someone else in the infield needs to step up to help this team.
This week the Padres continue their home stand with two against the Mariners after a day off Monday. Then they head out to St. Louis for a 4 game against the team with the best record in baseball. This will be a good test and opportunity for the Padres to gain some momentum if they can manage to win 3 of 4 from the Cards.
Current Record: 37-41
Standings: 7 GB Dodgers
Weekly Prediction: 4-2
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster