Jun 27, 2015; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Padres right fielderMatt Kemp
(27) hits a two RBI single during the sixth inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
I’ve missed a few weeks in this space, but excited to get back in the swing of things. This week saw more of the same of what we have seen from the Padres all season – flashes of brilliance in one game and the next game a lifeless offense and inconsistent starting pitching. Even James Shields has deflated after starting 7-0 to fall to 7-2 all of a sudden. Matt Kemp is starting to show more of his power stroke and emerge out of his two month slump just in time for the All Star Break, and questions continue to swirl about whether Justin Upton will finish out his terrific 2015 campaign with the Padres or someone else.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
Since I last wrote this column the Padres finally followed my advice and fired Bud Black – but the new results have been mixed. Certainly new interim manager Pat Murphy brings a more relaxed fun atmosphere, but that only really counts if it also brings winning. This isn’t a struggling young team looking for encouragement and skills to build on for next year. This team is built on veterans who are here to win now and economically constructed that way too. I maintain that there still is a good amount of time to turn it around, but a nice surge into the All Star Break sure would be nice, wouldn’t it?
This week the Giants played 3 against the Giants in San Francisco before a weekend series at home against the Diamondbacks. I will recap those series and preview the week ahead, highlighting a Friar of the Week as well.
Next: Giants Series Recap