May 27, 2015; New York City, NY, USA; New York Mets first baseman Lucas Duda (21) is congratulated by on-deck batter New York Mets second baseman Daniel Murphy (28) after hitting a solo home run against the Philadelphia Phillies during the first inning at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
The San Diego Padres (25-27) enter the second leg of their homestand against the New York Mets (28-23). The Mets have been one of the surprising teams of this year. They were in first place for nearly all of the month of April and some of May until the Washington Nationals got hot.
The Padres are coming off of a series split with the Pittsburgh Pirates over the weekend. There was no shortage of offense in the series as the two teams combined for 39 runs in the four games. The Friars are desperately trying to get back to .500. A series sweep here would do the trick.
The Mets are coming from a home series loss to the Miami Marlins, but they did salvage the series with a win yesterday.
The Padres still have key players injured. There are rumors that Yonder Alonso will join the team during this series. Brandon Morrow is starting a rehab assignment. Wil Myers is slowly improving and might start a rehab assignment this week.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster