May 24, 2015; Los Angeles, CA, USA; San Diego Padres left fielder Justin Upton (10) is greeted at home plate by first baseman Yangervis Solarte (26), right fielder Matt Kemp (27) and center fielder Will Venable (25) after hitting a grand slam in the first inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
Game 4 Sunday, 6:10pm
After a gloomy start to the month, Despaigne really has turned it around in his last two starts. In those two starts combined, he has pitched 12 innings while only allowing two runs and walking just two. This will be his first start against the Pirates.
Locke enters his 3rd year as a member of the Pirates rotation and his 5th overall. He was an All-Star in 2013. The 27 year-old lefty walked 4 in his last start but did not allow a run. He allowed 4 runs in 5 innings in his only start against the Padres in his career.
This is a crucial series for the Padres. They are facing yet another team with a winning record as they themselves try and get back to .500. If they can win this series, they will be at .500. This will be tough as the Pirates are looking to make another playoff run and their bats are heating up. I am predicting a series split at Petco Park this weekend.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster