Padres Come Home to Face Bucs
By Nick Lee
May 24, 2015; Los Angeles, CA, USA; San Diego Padres starting pitcher James Shields (33) pitches the first inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
Game 2 Friday, 7:10pm
James Shields (6-0, 3.75 ERA) vs. Francisco Liriano (2-4, 3.86 ERA)
Shields looks to stay unbeaten. He has been a strikeout machine, striking out 82 which is good for 3rd in the National League. He struck out 7 in 7 innings against the Dodgers his last time out. He has not lost a game since September 20th. This will be Shields’ first start against the Pirates in his career.
Liriano, like Burnett has pitched better as he has aged into his 30s. Since turning 30, his ERA has been under 4. He struck out 12 in his last start against the Mets. He has always pitched well against the Padres, posting a 2.42 ERA. He is pitching in his 10th season in the major leagues since being signed out of the Dominican Republic.
Upton also has a home run in his career off of Liriano.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster