May 7, 2015; Anaheim, CA, USA; Los Angeles Angels center fielder Mike Trout (27) hits a solo home run in the first inning against the Houston Astros at Angel Stadium of Anaheim. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
Game 2 Tuesday, 7:05pm
Despaigne is coming off of one of his better starts this season. He pitched 6 innings and only allowed two runs. That was a great improvement from his previous two starts when he allowed 8 and 7 runs respectively. Despaigne has never pitched at Angel Stadium nor ever faced the Angels.
Shoemaker is in his second year in the Angels rotation. He put up a 16-4 record in 2014. Shoemaker is facing the Padres for the first time. He has a 2.25 ERA in 3 career interleague starts.
The Padres will have to be careful of Mike Trout. He, as usual, has been on a tear hitting .417 in the last week with a home run. The only Padres with really any experience against Shoemaker are Norris and Middlebrooks. They are a combined 3 for 6.
More from Friars on Base
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal