May 6, 2015; San Francisco, CA, USA; San Diego Padres starting pitcher Ian Kennedy (22) pitches during the first inning against the San Francisco Giants at AT&T Park. Mandatory Credit: Bob Stanton-USA TODAY Sports
Game 1 Tuesday, 7:10pm
Kennedy has performed well since being blasted by the Dodgers last month. He is coming off of his best start of 2015 against the San Francisco Giants, when he went seven innings while only allowing one run and five strikeouts. He was really in tune with new catcher Austin Hedges in his last start.
Kennedy will have to tread carefully against his old teammate Seth Smith, who is hitting .300 with a home run in 23 plate appearances.
Paxton is coming off of a nice performance against the Los Angeles Angels, going seven innings and only allowing two runs. He has never faced the Padres, but is 1-1 with a 3.31 career ERA in interleague games. He has a 2.89 ERA in 10 career starts at Safeco Field.
Derek Norris has the most experience against Paxton with six plate appearances; he is 1-for-5.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster