Apr 17, 2015; Chicago, IL, USA; San Diego Padres starting pitcher James Shields throws a pitch against the Chicago Cubs during the third inning at Wrigley Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
Game 3 Sunday, 1:10pm
James Shields (2-0, 2.90 ERA) vs. TBD
Shields is coming off of a 12-strikeout performance. He has 41 in his 5 starts so far this season and is tied for the team lead in innings pitched with 31.
He faced Colorado in that previous series and went 6 innings while striking out 5 and allowing 3 runs. He got a no-decision that night. He has a 3.96 ERA in three starts against the Rockies in his career.
The Rockies have not yet announced a starter for Sunday’s series finale.
The Padres badly need to perform well in this series. They have skidded through the second half of April. A series win here would be huge and I think they can do it. They will win two out of three here and head into a road trip with a renewed momentum. The Padres have good starters in this series and are at home.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster