Apr 6, 2015; Los Angeles, CA, USA; San Diego Padres starter James Shields delivers a pitch against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Game 1 Friday, 11:20AM
Shields is coming off of a huge win against the San Francisco Giants and Madison Bumgarner. In two starts so far this year, he has pitched 13 innings and struck out 15 while only allowing three runs. He is facing his former manager, Joe Maddon. He has never pitched at Wrigley Field. He has faced the Cubs once before, pitching 6 1/3 innings, giving up three runs while striking out nine.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
Hammel made his first start against the Colorado Rockies. He went six innings, allowed three runs and struck out six without a walk. He has made 12 career starts against the Friars. He is 4-3 with a 5.01 ERA.
Someone with a lot of experience against Hammel is Matt Kemp, who in 25 at-bats is hitting .280 with a home run and two doubles. Last season, the Padres won the three game series two games to one by scoring 21 runs in the series. Here’s hoping the Padres can equal or exceed that total this time around.