Apr 9, 2015; San Diego, CA, USA; San Francisco Giants center fielder Angel Pagan (left) reacts during an at bat in the ninth inning as San Diego Padres catcher Derek Norris (3) gestures at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
I loved the gusto Norris played with this entire week. You rarely see a catcher in the second spot in the lineup, but Norris is a perfect fit for it. He always gives a tough at bat, and consistently gets on base, already posting a .370 OBP. Once on base, Norris recklessly throws himself at the next bag, taking the extra 90 feet whenever he can.
Defensively, I thought Norris did a great job throwing out base runners and blocking balls behind the plate.
It was great to see him show some passion when dealing with Angel Pagan. The little argument clearly fired up the team and the players. Norris seems to be emerging as the leader of this club. Having the heart of the team at the catcher position will be integral to the Padres success, as Norris will help lead and inspire both the hitters and the pitching staff.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster