The Padres have been one of the teams who are making all sorts of moves this off-season. They have added quite a few bats so far but so far really only Josh Johnson and Brandon Morrow on the pitching front. Could that be changing? Could they be adding another pitcher to the staff? Maybe according to Fox Sports Jon Morosi.
We’ve heard the Padres interest in him before as well as Cole Hamels. With Hamels, you have to give up your money as well as two or possibly more top prospects. With Shields, it’s money, but also the 13th pick in the draft. The Padres have had that pick the past two years and turned it into Hunter Renfroe and Trea Turner. Turner will be going to Washington in the Wil Myers deal. Renfroe is one of the top outfield prospects in the game.
Shields can be a veteran presence and an anchor in the rotation. If they lose Ian Kennedy in free agency next season, they still have Shields in the rotation (unless he is signed to a one year deal too).
If the Padres really want to show they are all in, sure, grab Shields. A.J. Preller has to figure out what he wants to do and if this will fit the budget given.
I wouldn’t mind Shields on this team, but it can’t be a long term contract. Does A.J. have one more big move left in him? We’ll see.
More from Friars on Base
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster