Padres’ Top 10 All-Star Moments: 10-6
Aug 8, 2014; Anaheim, CA, USA; Dave Winfield attends the MLB game between the Boston Red Sox and the Los Angeles Angels at Angel Stadium of Anaheim. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
8. Winfield Showcase
The Padres back in 1977 weren’t exactly World Series contenders yet, but they had a star athlete from the University of Minnesota by the name of Dave Winfield. Winfield now has his number “31” retired by the Padres and made his first All-Star appearance in the summer of 1977.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
That night Winfield went 2-for-2, with a double and a two-run single in the eighth to give the N.L. a 7-3 lead in a game that National League won 7-5. Winfield also was the first ever Padre to get a hit in an All-Star Game. Winfield that season in 1977 hit 25 home runs and drove in 92 RBI’s. Winfield also went on to play in eleven more ASG’s.