With Recent Success, Cory Spangenberg Is On Padres Radar
Cory Spangenberg. Do you know who he is? I certainly do. I remember one of his first at-bats as a Padre. Do you remember what happened? He hit a walk-off home run! I’ll tell you right now that he caught my attention right off the bat with that bomb, and, he also caught the eye of some of the most important people, the San Diego Padres’ front office. You want to know what else? He is versatile, which is something the Padres love a player to have. As the team’s first round draft pick in 2011, and is the team’s #14 prospect in the organization.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
When Spangenberg was called up at the end of last season, he hit with a line .290/.313/.452 in 65 plate appearances, while playing in 20 games. So will Cory be with the 2015 Padres? It’s difficult to say, but with his potential and versatility, I could definitely see him being on the Padres’ roster at some time during the 2015 season, especially with potential injuries that could happen.
However, the Padres also have Clint Barmes, Alexi Amarista, and Yangervis Solarte for the infield, as well so it will depend on the situation to see if the Padres will need Cory Spangenberg on the big league roster, but more than likely he should be.