I mentioned in my prediction post earlier today that I thought Wil Myers would be dealt for Cole Hamels at some point in 2015. Apparently Fox Sports Ken Rosenthal put cold water all over that entire thing in his post for JABO.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
"As we’ve seen, nothing can be ruled out with Preller. But one recently reported possibility — outfielder Wil Myers in a package for Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels — seems increasingly implausible.“Not happening,” one Padres official said of a Hamels deal on Tuesday, before issuing the standard, “never say never” qualifier. The most likely plan, though, is to play Myers in center field for one season, then move him to a corner after Justin Upton departs, inevitably, as a free agent."
To me, it’s hard to believe that Upton will inevitably leave. His agent already said that they can negotiate. The Padres should try and lock him up long term if they can. Especially if they can find a taker for Carlos Quentin, it’s $8 million extra they can use. Joaquin Benoit also makes $8 million and his salary comes off the books after this coming season so that’s more money they can use.
The Padres can have their cake and eat it too. It’s just a matter of doing it.