The Padres did it! Okay, A.J. Preller did it! He pulled off the biggest trade the Padres franchise has seen in over 30 years. The Matt Kemp trade. The trade started a flurry of moves from the Padres that just made them better. You know why? Because the trade for Matt Kemp gave the Padres something they haven’t had since Adrian Gonzalez left for Boston 4 years ago, A power bat!! So why does this make the Swinging Friars better? Because Matt Kemp is someone you can build your team around, and that is exactly what A.J. Preller did! He went out and got Justin Upton from the Atlanta Braves and Wil Myers from the Tampa Bay Rays, and last but not least Will Middlebrooks from the Boston Red Sox, all three of them in trades.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
You want to know what is crazy about all of this? A.J. Preller managed to pull off all of these trades without sacrificing any of the Padres three top line starters in the rotation. Not only did he do that, but he also sparked a lot of interest in the team and made lots of Padre fans optimistic about the upcoming year, which is something that hasn’t happened in a long time. I for one was like a kid in a candy store when Matt Kemp was announced and not only him, but all of the other moves as well. I feel like many of my fellow fans, are even more optimistic than I usually am that the Padres can contend in 2015.