Padres Rumors: Padres Interested in Stephen Drew?
Clint Barmes may not be the only middle infielder the Padres add this winter. Maybe Barmes could be the backup or the platoon partner with former Yankee middle infielder Stephen Drew? CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman says the Padres are one of the many teams with interest.
More from Padres Rumors
- Padres interested in signing FA reliever, converting him to starter
- Padres free agency update links them to All-Star shortstop
- Perfect Padres buy-low trade target might reside in Chicago
- Kodai Senga connections could make Padres favorite for ace SP
- Latest buzz indicates Padres could splurge on surprise position
Barmes is a career .238 hitter vs lefties with a .558 OPS. Drew is a career .228 AVG with a .663 OPS vs lefties.
Both are good on the defensive end, and you can play them together at either infield position.
Look, Drew wasn’t good last year. He hit just .162. But he got a late start because he was holding out for a big contract that never came together. He’s had productive seasons in the past and could be good on a two year do keep the seat warm for former first round pick Trea Turner.
Two years ago for the Red Sox, Drew hit .267 with 13 homers and 67 RBI. He turns 32 in March and he’ll be looking to bring up his value. Would signing him to a one or two year deal be the worst thing in the world? Definitely not.
Drew, Asdrubal Cabrera, Jed Lowrie, all those guys would help at the shortstop position. The Padres should seriously think about any and all of the three as they look to upgrade their offense in 2015.