Padres Trade Fuentes To Royals
By Jason Evans
One of the prize trade chips the Padres got in the Adrian Gonzalez deal was a former first round pick in outfielder Reymond Fuentes. Well, one of those chips was Anthony Rizzo was dealt for Andrew Cashner. Now Fuentes is gone too.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
Fuentes, who is a cousin of Yankees outfielder Carlos Beltran, was traded to one of Beltran’s former teams, the Kansas City Royals. In exchange, the Padres got young left-handed reliever Kyle Bartsch.
Fuentes, between Double-A and Triple-A, played 88 games, hit .294/.363/.416 with five homers 33 RBI and 25 stolen bases. He gives the Royals some additional outfield depth while they look to fill their right field hole in the free agent market.
Bartsch was the Royals seventh round pick in 2013 from the University of South Alabama. In 41 games at High-A Wilmington, he went 5-5 with a 2.29 ERA. He struck out 52 in 55 innings. while only giving up 45 hits and walking just 12.
Anytime you can get a young power lefty you never know how quick they can rise. Keep an eye on Bartisch in the minors.