Friars On Base Radio Show Rewind: Who’s On First Base?
By John Hiatt
This past week we had our lastest radio show. Myself and our host, Devin Sparks went over who we thought would fit at first base for the Padres in 2015. For those of you that do not know my role on the show or have not heard it yet, I am the show’s producer. On this week’s past episode, we went over the role we think Yonder Alonso will have on the Padres in 2015.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
We also went over two players that we think will be suitable replacements for Alonso if he is not a Friar by the time next year rolls around. One of the players that we looked at was Adam LaRoche. We think he would be a significant upgrade at first base. The other player that we talked about on the show as a possible replacement at first, was Billy Butler. He is younger than LaRoche, but may not be the player the Padres need, since he has played as a DH for most of his career.The Padres would be able to sign LaRoche a little easier, considering he is on the latter part of his career.
Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports
Join us next week as we talk about some of the other positions the Padres could target this off-season, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates on when we will be doing our next show.
If you missed the original broadcast, you can click here to catch up with us!