Padres Lose Donn Roach On Waivers
By Jason Evans
The Padres had a bit of a roster crunch with all the players coming off of the 60-Day DL and got rid of a few players. One of those players was Donn Roach and he was claimed by the Chicago Cubs.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
Roach was a former third round pick of the Angels and was acquired along with Alexi Amarista for Ernesto Frieri back in 2012.
Roach appeared in 16 games for the Padres last season, going 1-0 with a 4.75 ERA. He gave up 36 hits and 16 runs in 30.1 innings at the major league level. For Triple-A El Paso, Roach was 4-6 with a 5.24 ERA.
Roach had impressive numbers back in 2012, going 11-2 with a 1.88 ERA, but failed to produce those kind of numbers since that season.
With all the pitching depth the Padres have, Roach was expendable and based on how he performed, wasn’t exactly in the Padres plans with guys like Casey Kelly coming back in the fold and off the DL.
For the Cubs, Roach represents some pitching depth as they continue to build their team this off-season.