Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
Where They Stand
The Padres have to be pleased with how this homestand has gone so far. They won a series against two first-place teams that are both near locks for the postseason. Now that September is here, the Friars will also get reinforcements that can only make them better. They finish the month of August 16-11, their first winning month of the season. We saw the offense finally wake up and the stellar pitching remain. The Padres were one of the best teams in the major leagues this month.
More from Padres News
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
- Padres got steal with Xander Bogaerts after Carlos Correa’s mega-deal
- Failed Padres top prospect makes stunning return with minor league deal
- Padres fail to land ideal Xander Bogaerts teammate at catcher
The Padres fall to 12 back in the division and the Dodgers avoided losing any more ground to the Giants. The Friars are now only 7 games below .500. Like I mentioned before, the Padres goal now should be to finish with a better record than they have had the last two seasons (76-86). The Padres are four games better at this point in the season than they were last year (60-75). The Padres now have yet another chance to put away an inferior team in the Diamondbacks, who come to town for four games. They lost the series in Arizona two weeks ago and have yet to win a series against the D-backs.