Maybin Doing Work In Anticipation Of Return
By Dave Chalk
Over the last two season Cameron Maybin has only played in a handful of games. He was limited to 14 games in 2013 and had only played in 62 games this season before being suspended for 25 games for using amphetamines, a violation of the Major League drug policy.
Maybin’s suspension is coming to an end and he is currently working out in Arizona before heading out to El Paso on Friday to begin a quick rehab assignment to get back in baseball shape and to fine tune his swing. He is only eligible to play 5 games before being reinstated. Maybin needs to use those five games, getting full game at-bats to knock off the rust before returning to a much different Padres’ team than the one he left.
Maybin is eligible to be activated Aug. 20th when the Padres will be in Los Angeles. Maybin has struggled at the plate this year; he owns a triple slash line of .247/.286/.368 on the season with 12 doubles, 3 triples, and 1 home run. His speed makes him an above average fielder, but that speed has not translated to the base paths. Maybin only has 3 stolen bases in 4 attempts.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
Maybin will need to improve his offense during the rest of the season if he hopes to impress A.J. Preller and have a starting job next season.
Keep the Faith.