Aug 2, 2014; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Padres right fielderWill Venable
(center) is splashed with water by teammates after he hit a walk-off RBI single to beat the Atlanta Braves 3-2 in the twelfth inning at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
The Padres have continued their post All Star break hot stretch into August and aim to keep it rolling today. It took extras last night to finish off the Braves, but Will Venable came through in the clutch for the walk off win.
This afternoon they’ll have a chance to sweep the Atlanta Braves, and it’ll be a nice way to get back at them for being the only team to take a series against them since the All-Star break.
More from Padres News
- Jurickson Profar free agency update likely rules out Padres reunion
- Fernando Tatis Jr. may not take to outfield move after Xander Bogaerts addition
- Padres News: Fernando Tatis Jr. trade rumors, Seth Lugo chase, Manny Machado
- Padres barely missed out on high-end veteran starting pitcher
- This veteran DH target seems ideal for contending Padres roster
It’s taken great pitching performances from both Eric Stults and Ian Kennedy to put the Padres in position to sweep. The two have combined to give up only 2 runs on 4 hits over 11 1/3 innings. Obviosuly they put the team in a great place, but they’ve needed the pen to finish off the job, and they’ve been up to the task. Padre relievers have surrendered only 1 run in the first 2 games of the series over 9 2/3 innings.