The San Diego Padres head into the offseason with their heads held high following their unlikely run to the NLCS. Unfortunately, they ran into a buzzsaw in the Phillies, but toppling the favored Mets and perhaps the best Dodgers team in the franchise’s rich history is a big-time achievement for the Padres.
And to do all of it without Fernando Tatis Jr.? Its no wonder the Padres were greeted to a standing ovation from fans after returning from Philadelphia.
After getting a sniff of he World Series, A.J. Preller is surely already brainstorming ways to fortify the Padres’ chances of making another deep run in October. Before swinging for the fences and blowing past the 2023 luxury tax, though, the general manager must decide which free agents he wants to bring back.
Nobody knows what’s in store for the Padres over the next couple months, but recent history suggests Preller will keep it interesting. Before we get into the nitty gritty of the winter, we thought it’d be a good idea to keep a tracker of all the news, rumors and transactions fans need to know for the remainder of the offseason.
Padres 2023 payroll information
Padres 2023 projected payroll as of today: $194,984,703
Padres 2023 projected payroll ceiling: $265 million
Available to spend: $70.015 million
Padres 2022-2023 transactions
- Jurickson Profar declined his 2023 player option and will hit free agency.
- Robert Suarez declined his 2023 player option and will hit free agency.
- Padres declined Wil Myers’ 2023 club option. Myers will hit free agency.
Padres offseason rumors
- Padres have incentive to keep Jurickson Profar
- Padres could shake up infield with Fernando Tatis Jr. returning
- Padres should have “modest” interest in re-signing Josh Bell
Padres arbitration eligible players (and salaries for 2023)
- RF Juan Soto: $21.5 million
- LHP Josh Hader: $13.6 million
- INF Jake Cronenworth: $4.4 million
- C Jorge Alfaro: $3.6 million
- CF Trent Grisham: $2.6 million
- C Austin Nola: $2.2 million
- LHP Tim Hill: $1.7 million
- RHP Austin Adams: $1 million
- LHP Jose Castilo: $900K
- LHP Adrian Morejon: $800K
Padres free agents lost
- Jurickson Profar — opting out of contract
- Robert Suarez — opting out of contract
- Wil Meyers — Padres declined 2023 club option
- Josh Bell — free agent
- Brandon Drury — free agent
- Mike Clevinger — free agent
- Craig Stammen — free agent
- Sean Manaea — free agent
- Pierce Johnson — free agent
- Tyrell Jenkins — free agent
Padres top prospects for 2023
- SS Jackson Merrill
- RHP Dylan Lesko
- LHP Robby Snelling
- OF Samuel Zavala
- INF Eguy Rosario
- RHP Adam Mazur
- RHP Victor Lizarraga
- RHP Henry Williams
- OF/IF Korry Howell
- RHP Jairo Iriarte