Padres’ Top 10 All-Star Moments: 5-1
3 of 6
Padres’ legendary hurler Randy Jones. Mandatory Credit: utsandiego.com
4. #35 Makes Padres history
The Padres were still young in their existence but had an ace of a pitcher named Randy Jones. The Cy Young award winner in the summer of 1976 became the first Padre pitcher ever to start in an All-Star Game. The only other Padres to do so later were LaMarr Hoyt in 1985 and Jake Peavy back in 2007. Also, Jones became the first Padre pitcher to earn a win in an All-Star Game.
More from Padres History
- 10 best pitchers in San Diego Padres history
- Best San Diego Padres draft picks of the 2000s
- Blake Snell’s history with the Padres dates back to his draft
- Every number retired by the San Diego Padres
- San Diego Padres all-time home run leaders
Jones stats that night showed him only allowing two hits and a walk while striking out one in three scoreless innings. The National League went on to win the game, 7-1.