The Arizona Fall League Rising Stars game will be this Saturday night on MLB Network at 8pm ET. The Padres will be well represented with four players set to appear in the game.
The Padres will have two pitchers in Burch Smith and Tayron Guerrero. Smith appeared in the big leagues in 2013. In 2014, he only appeared in two games due to injury, going 0-2 in two starts in Triple-A. So far in AFL action, he’s 1-0 with a 9.53 ERA. Guerrero, between A-ball and High-A went 6-1 with a 1.45 ERA. He struck out 56 win 49.2 innings. Guerrero is 0-2 with an ERA over 21 in AFL action so far.
More from Padres Prospects
- Padres’ top prospect tearing up AFL after injury-riddled 2022
- An updated look at the San Diego Padres’ farm system ranking
- 2 Padres rookies who could be on the move in potential Juan Soto trade
- San Diego Padres prospects to watch at the MLB trade deadline
- Fans, experts giddy at Padres taking Dylan Lesko in MLB draft
On the hitting side, Jace Peterson and Hunter Renfroe were selected. Peterson is hitting .214 in 11 games so far with three RBI. Peterson hit .113 in 27 games at the major league level and .306 in AAA last season. We’ve talked about Renfroe here quite a few time before. So far in AFL action, he’s hitting .204 with a homer and four RBI.
It is definitely a positive that four guys were named to the squad. If you want to take a look at guys who could be a part of the Padres future, tune in Saturday.