Daily Padres Roundup: July 29, 2013
Quentin has done well this July at the plate. Mandatory Credit: Jennifer Stewart-USA TODAY Sports
Here is the “Daily Roundup,” Friars fans:
- Likely to be “sellers” at the trade deadline later this week, certain Padres are gaining interest around the league like Carlos Quentin. According to a tweet from Buster Olney of ESPN, the Baltimore Orioles might try to add Quentin to their roster as an outfielder and designated hitter. Quentin has been hitting well as of late, and the Orioles would be wise to add a strong right-handed bat to their lineup.
- Although he is hobbled again, Kyle Blanks might well have garnered some interest from teams around the league due to his play earlier in the season. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweeted recently that the Seattle Mariners might be interested in acquiring San Diego’s power-hitting outfielder/first baseman.
- If the Friars do end up “selling” around Wednesday’s deadline, then Brock says the team has a specific need in mind: starting pitching.
- As most of you already know, Tyson Ross pitched an incredible game on Sunday afternoon against the Diamondbacks. The right-hander pitched eight innings of shutout baseball, and struck out seven over that span to boot. Corey Brock of Padres.com tweeted the post-game comments of Chase Headley, and San Diego’s third baseman stated the following about Ross’ performance: “That’s as good as I’ve seen anyone throw for us in a long time”.
- ESPN.com provided a preview of the Padres vs. Reds game this evening at 7:10 PDT.
Follow me on Twitter: @DominicDiTolla
Like “Chicken Friars” on Facebook: Chicken Friars