The Padres Might Not Be Done With The Roster
Ken Rosenthal from FOX sports recapped some of the buzz surrounding Major League Baseball and the Padres were briefly mentioned in the article.
One rival executive said that “there is no way that the Padres finish the off-season with Jason Marquis as the only meaningful addition.” Music to my ears.
August 21, 2012; San Diego, CA, USA; San Diego Padres starting pitcher Jason Marquis (38) throws during the first inning against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports
The article also says that the Padres are not overly impressed with the free agent pitching options and may explore a trade. Rosenthal mentioned the Padres could be interested in Rick Porcello, Aaron Harang or Kansas City righty Luke Hochevar.
While Byrnes has stated in interviews that the Padres may be done during free agency, it never made sense to me. Byrnes stated at the beginning of the off-season that the Padres would likely add two starters. So far, Marquis has been the only addition, unless you count Tyson Ross, who doesn’t seem to have a place on the roster wrapped up.
It will be interesting to see if there is any traction to the report. I still believe the Padres need another arm.