Celebrating Jerry Coleman Day
With 40 years of broadcasting Padres baseball over the airwaves, Jerry Coleman has forever been cemented in the team’s history. In honoring the legendary broadcaster’s work, the Padres are hosting Jerry Coleman Day on Sept. 15.
The pregame ceremonies will start 30 minutes before the scheduled 5:35 p.m. start time. On top of other festivities during the pregame ceremony, the Padres will unveil a statue of the Hall of Fame broadcaster.
Courtesy of: The San Diego Reader
The 88-year-old icon is known for his signature call, “Oh Doctor! You can hang a star on that baby!” every time a Padre makes a play worthy of a highlight reel.
Fans who are familiar with the broadcaster’s way of describing the game through his “Colemanisms.” In honoring the colonel, I have come up with a list (in no particular order) of some of my favorite “Colemanisms.”
After reading this list, please comment on our page with some of your favorite “Colemanisms.”
- “Hector Torrez, how can you communicate with Enzo Hernandez when he speaks Spanish and you speak Mexican?”
- “Willie Davis is not as young as he used to be.”
- “Rich Folkers is throwing up in the bullpen.”
- “At the end of six innings of play, it’s Montreal 5, Expos 3”
- “They throw (Dave) Winfield out at second- and he’s safe.”
Quotes courtesy of :baseball-almanac.com and sportshollywood.com