Logan Forsythe throws to first against the Pittsburgh Pirates Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE

Throwdown Thursday - Week 22

Every Thursday, we at Chicken Friars will pick the two best Padres performers over the past week and analyze what they accomplished. Then we will leave it up to you, the fans, to decide who earned the week’s Throwdown Thursday’s honor.

Eric Stults perhaps is the Padres’ biggest acquisition this season. The Padres picked up Stults off waivers from the Chicago White Sox on May 17, since then the lefty has been pitching like a madman.

His madness led him to secure 75 percent of the Chicken Friars fans’ vote, crowning him the Week 21 Throwdown Thursday champion over rookie starting pitcher Casey Kelly, who got the remaining 25 percent.

Stults’ championship week includes him toeing the slab twice last week, recording the win in both outings. In those outings, Stults pitched a combined 13 innings, giving up a total of eight hits and striking out nine batters last week. He also managed to give up just one unearned run during that stretch. Stults’ arm wasn’t the only thing making headlines last week. At the plate, Stults collected three hits with three RBI.

Stults had another dominant week against the Los Angeles Dodgers tossing six innings while giving up seven hits and one earned run. As good as this outing was, Stults will not be defending his crown.

This week’s Throwdown Thursday nominees features a player who was named National League Player of the month while the other is starting to be a regular in the Padres lineup. Chase Headley VS. Logan Forsythe.

Chase Headley waves his bat Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE

 

Chase Headley- The National League Player of the Month for August is picking up where he left-off in the first week of September.This week Headley has collected 12 hits for a .414 batting average with two home runs and 12 RBI. He also included two doubles and a .433 OBP. Headley is the heart and soul of the Padres team and with performances like this, he is making a strong case for a contract extension.

 

 

 

Logan Forsythe- While  fans and those in the media are projecting Jedd Gyrko to be the Padres starting second baseman in 2013, Logan Forsythe is trying to make a case of his own. Forsythe’s week included racking up six hits for a .353 average, four RBI and two stolen bases. Fosythe has become the regular starter at second base ahead of Alexi Amarista.

 

Statistics Courtesy of: MLB.com

Now Padres fans, vote in our poll for the Padres performer of the week.  Is it Headley or Forsythe?

 

Throwdown Thursday

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Next Padres Game View full schedule »
Wednesday, Sep 2424 Sep7:10Colorado RockiesBuy Tickets

Tags: Chase Headley Eric Stults Logan Forsythe San Diego Padres

comments powered by Disqus