Jhn Baker (21) yells and claps during pregame introductions Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE

Throwdown Thursday - Week 17


Every Thursday, we at Chicken Friars will pick the two best Padres performers over the past week and analyze what they accomplished. Then we will leave it up to you, the fans, to decide who earned the week’s Throwdown Thursday’s honor.

After a 15-week hiatus from appearing on the Throwdown Thursday competition, Jesus Guzman came back with a vengeance by securing his first Throwdown Thursday honor.

But it didn’t come easy for the Padres utility player as 62 percent of the Chicken Friar fans voted for him over starting pitcher Edinson Volquez who got the remaining 38 percent of the vote.

Guzman earned the Week 15 honor by posting a .500 average with thee home runs (including two in one game) five RBI and seven hits in five games played last week.

However, the Venezuelan failed to make the ballot for Week 17.

This week’s nominees feature a Padre who seems to always find his way on the ballot and the other is a backup player who is doing a great job at filling in as a starter. Yonder Alonso VS. John Baker.

Yonder Alonso (23) comes through with a single US PRESSWIRE

 

Yonder Alonso – Alonso went bonkers this week on road trips that saw the Padres make stops in Miami -which is where Alonso is from- and Cincinnati – Alonso is a former Red. For the week, Alonso has a .423 average with one home run, six RBI and 11 hits. He also has 1.175 OPS.

 

 

 

 

 

John Baker- With the injury to Yasmani Grandal,  Baker was called upon to carry the load at catcher, and he has filled in nicely. On the week, Baker has had a 267 average with four hits, two runs scored and two walks. He also has a 1.050 OPS.

 

 

 

Now Padres fans, vote in our poll for the Padres performer of the week.  Is it Alonso or Baker?

Throwdown Thursday

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

 

Statistics Courtesy of: MLB.COM

Next Padres Game View full schedule »
Tuesday, Sep 22 Sep7:10Arizona DiamondbacksBuy Tickets

Tags: Edinson Volquez Jesus Guzman John Baker Throwdown Thursday Yonder Alonso