Christopher Hanewinckel-US PRESSWIRE

Throwdown Thursday - Week 14

Every Thursday, we at Chicken Friars will pick the two best Padres performers over the past week and analyze what they accomplished. Then we will leave it up to you, the fans, to decide who earned the week’s Throwdown Thursday’s honor. 

Yasmani Grandal’s first week as the new Padres’ starting catcher was a historic one.

The 23-year-old switch-hitter became the first player in Major League history to homer from both sides of the plate for his first career hits in the same game.

As if that wasn’t good enough, Grandal became the seventh player in the majors since 1900 to hit three home runs for his first three hits in the majors.  Four of Grandal’s six hits were home runs.

Grandal’s history-making week secured him 64 percent of the Chicken Friars fans’ vote to crown him the Week 13 Throwdown Thursday champion. His opponent, Alexi Amarista, who had a tremendous week himself, garnered the remaining 36 percent of the vote.

The Yas-Man has cooled off a bit, so he does not appear on the Week 14 Throwdown Thursday poll.

This week’s Throwdown Thursday ballot pits a player making a valid case to be an every day starter while the other is a youngster who is trying to show the Padres brass what he can do with the bat: Chris Denorfia Vs. Logan Forsythe.

 

Denorfia lays down sac bung against Phillies Eric Hartline-US PRESSWIRE

 

 

Chris Denorfia –  In the past week, Denorfia had a 12- game hitting streak, which boosted his season average to .375. Denorfia’s week consisted of a .375 average with one home run, 2 RBI and six hits.

 

 

 

 

 

Logan Forsythe – Forsythe has a nine-game hitting streak for the week. He put together a .500 average with a home run, three RBI, seven hits and a .714 slugging percentage. In a game against the Reds, Forsythe hit a crucial home run to help lead the Padres defeat the Cincinnati Reds for the team’s sixth win in a row.

 

 

Now Padres fans, vote in our poll for the Padres performer of the week.  Is it Denorfia or Forsythe?

 

Throwdown Thursday

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Next Padres Game View full schedule »
Friday, Sep 1919 Sep7:10San Francisco GiantsBuy Tickets

Tags: Chris Denorfia Logan Forsythe Padres San Diego Padres Throwdown Thursday Yasmani Grandal

comments powered by Disqus